Wildlife strikes often cause numerous and consequential damages to aircrafts. In order to find efficient solutions for each airport to reduce wildlife hazard while respecting the current legislation on species protection, airtrace has developed a specific methodology to study this issue and find adapted answers.
An integrated approach is necessary for an effective wildlife management. Collaboration with air control and other airport operating departements is essential. A perfect understanding and a strong commitment of the airport management is fundamental for the success of a wildlife hazard prevention program. Depending on the size of the airport and the degree of risk posed by wildlife, one to several people should be hired. Combining wildlife hazard prevention activities with other tasks doesn’t always seem a good solution.
WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT CONCEPT IMPLEMENTATION ASSISTANCE
The unique situation of each airport requires a specific risk analysis based on a scientific expertise even before a wildlife management concept can be implemented.
The international experience of airtrace in the field of wildlife hazard prevention offers a recognized methodology that has been fully tried and tested. Work should be carried out by stages, using the skills of on site staff and airport data. The first stage (audit - expertise) is essential to start any upgrade of wildlife hazard management on an airport.
The proposed work stages are :
- Audit - expertise by airtrace specialists (information gathering and on site situation analysis)
- Definition of the airport wildlife hazard indicative level MANIRA-Airport®
- Audit report (diagnostic and suggestion of measures)
- Birds observation (ideally during one year) can be done by airport staff. Assistance may be provided with the database Airport Wildlife Hazard Management – AWHM
- Implementation of the suggested measures.
Once the wildlife management concept is implemented on an airport, staff should be trained to the newly developed procedures.
We offer many courses and trainings that we can, if necessary, customize.